Discover the joy of lettuce growing with these planting secrets for a bountiful and rewarding harvest!
Lettuce is a must-have vegetable in your kitchen, especially for salad enthusiasts. It is packed full of benefits from minerals to vitamins, not to mention that it is low in calories! What else are you looking for? Lettuce is a healthy and refreshing choice, and if you are curious about growing some in your garden, allow us to share 3 essential tips with you.
Successful leafy greens growth requires nothing but a few simple requirements.
– Keep the soil moist yet well-drained
– Enrich the soil with compost, especially manure, to boost nutrients
– Always opt for loose soil rather than the heavy one
– Maintain a pH level between 6 and 7 for optimal growth
– Apply mulch to improve optimal retention
Now that the soil is ready, you can start the lettuce-planting process
– Don’t forget to incorporate manure when preparing the soil
– Refrigerate the seeds for a few days to aid germination
– Sow the seeds in 1 cm-deep holes before spring arrives
– Transplant the seedlings in batches once they reach 2 cm in length
– Make sure you select a shaded location for planting
Consider the following tips during harvesting for the best results.
– Before the lettuce leaves are bitter, you harvest them
– Typically, harvesting occurs approximately ten weeks after sowing
– Go for morning harvesting when the sugar content in the leave is higher
– Cut it with a sharp knife just above the soil line
– Keep the inner leaves if you’re picking only a few leaves
Now that you possess valuable knowledge about growing leafy greens, why not give it a try in your garden? Just be vigilant against certain threats like pests and mildew.